What my mom was trying to tell me is that you never cross paths with someone by sheer coincidence. You're never exposed to a story, a reason or an event for nothing. There's always a lesson, a takeaway, of sorts from those with whom you come across. Reid and Julie crossed paths with me in the summer of 2006. Reid was due with her daughter, Gracie, in December, and Julie and I were both due in February...she was pregnant with a girl, Sara, and I was pregnant with my son, Jack. Reid would go on to have her second child, a son, Corbett, in January of 2008. Yes, she DID have Irish Twins.
I think part of the reason we all crossed paths is because I am a very compassionate person. I truly, truly believe in the work that I do for the National Marrow Donor Program...and I have made it part of my life to help patients in need EVERY SINGLE DAY. I lost my mother to cancer when I was barely 19...and it's affected me in ways I never thought imaginable.
Now, back to Reid and Julie. I feel compelled to blog about them for two reasons:
1. They are both very near and dear friends. They have touched my life in ways that even THEY probably don't know about...
2. It's all about awareness.
Julie's daughter, Sara, has a condition called NF-1, or Neurofibromatosis Type 1. You can read about it here. Essentially, Sara's disorder causes benign tumors to grow at the base of her nerves. She develops recurring kidney infections. She has a large tumor on one of her feet and as a result of that had to have a special shoe built for her. She's not yet walking, but does have a "stander" that assists her. Sara is an amazingly spunky kid who loves watching cartoons, hanging out with her mom and daydreaming of the day when she'll marry my son! :) I mean, look at how CUTE she is:

Yesterday, Sara had surgery at Denver Children's Hospital. The surgery was really successful and, hopefully, this will help with her recurring kidney infections.
Julie is a saint of a mother. She spends countless hours...days at the hospital with Sara. She sends email updates to us when she has a chance. I want her to know that every single day, she teaches me how to be a better mother to my son. She's taught me that life truly is a gift...and her daughter is the best and greatest gift of all. We text all the time, talk on the phone and have shared more in each other's lives than I've shared with some of my closest girlfriends. Thank you for all you do, Jules. I love you so much. Sara is SO blessed and SO lucky to have an inspirational mother like you.
Reid's son, Corbett, has a condition called VACTERL. It's an acronym that stands for:
V = Vertebral anomalies - Corbett had a tethered cord and has a butterfly vertebrae
A = Anal atresia - no hole at the bottom end of the intestine -Corbett had this and it is the reason for his colostomy.
C = Cardiac defect, most often ventricular septal defect - Corbett has this but it’s closing. This is commonly called VSD.
TE = TracheoEsophageal fistula (communication between the esophagus and trachea) with esophageal atresia (part of the esophagus is not hollow) - He did not have this!
R = Renal (kidney) abnormalities - He has this. Corbett has a single kidney with reflux damage.
L = Limb abnormalities, most often radial dysplasia (abnormal formation of the thumb or the radius bone in the forearm) - He doesn't have this one either.
He has had 5 surgeries in just 10 months to correct some of the problematic areas. He's a happy-go-lucky kid who has a smile that will melt your heart every time. I mean, really, can you resist this face:

Reid has spent more time in the hospital with Corbett than I can count. She's truly an exemplary mother who cares so deeply for her son. She and her saint-of-a-perfect-husband, Chuck, are truly parents who make me strive, every day, to love my son and to be SO incredibly grateful for all I have.
What's the point of all this? The point is that my mom wanted me to share their stories with you to gain more awareness for NF-1 and VACTERL. Please, take the time to educate just ONE person about these two conditions...if every person told just one other person...just THINK of the amount of awareness created.
Reid and Julie: Thank you so much for being such amazing mothers...and dear friends. I am blessed and grateful to have both of you in my life. I am touched by what you do for your children and it makes me realize the importance of love and compassion. You truly are MY inspiration, my motivation and my reason for wanting to help. I am here for both of you, despite the miles between us. I love you both...very, very much.
Oh, and Reid, I just have to say one more thing special for you...UTERUS! :)

You are SO sweet!!! and you're right about awareness. Sara and Corbett have (semi) rare things and not enough people are educated about them, which makes caring for them a little difficult. Your mom is proud!!!
ReplyDeleteAnd too funny about the last comment!
I definitely agree that we are blessed to know Julie and Reidie-poo! Thanks for sharing their stories, Mary, b/c they are inspirations to us all! ;-) Love to both of you, and continued prayers to Sara today!!!
ReplyDelete