This is one of those times.
Yesterday, I took the "Five Love Languages" quiz on facebook. Yeah, yeah, I know...they're all silly and full of mistakes, but this one caught my eye. You see, this book holds a special place in my heart because my best friend, Sheri, recommended it to me last fall. It truly has opened my perspective on love, and what love SHOULD be, to new levels.
One of my friends, Julie, and I started talking about this book amongst ourselves...and we both decided we need to blog about the events that happened during our conversation!
For curiosities sake, I took it...just to see if what I thought I was when reading the book might match up. It did.
My love language is "Words of Affirmation".
You see, I'm one of those people that is truly thankful when I get a nice compliment. They don't happen too often, and, when they do, they're usually directed towards Jack (i.e. how polite he is, how great he speaks, how does he know his letters, etc). Those are all things that *I* taught him. Me. No one helped me. (Well, maybe Shannon!)
It's sad, really, to be somewhere where hearing that I'm beautiful is such a thing of the past...having my son, in my mind, made me MORE beautiful. Yes, it gave me love handles that I can't quite get rid of...but it gave me the chance to let the world know what kind of a mother I am...and you know what? I'm damn good at that.
I long for compliments about myself. Don't get me wrong, I don't want them every day, but hearing that something looks good on me, or my hair looks nice, etc. seems like such a far fetched cry for attention. I hate feeling the way that I do about myself...and I truly do THRIVE on hearing wonderful things.
Is it too much to hear "You look beautiful" or "Wow, that new shirt is nice" once in a while. I'm not asking for them everyday, but it's SO nice to hear them.
I truly do have amazing friends who truly do lift me up to new heights...and I am SO thankful to have them to keep me grounded.

You ARE a beautiful person, inside and out! I know you want to hear it from a certain someone, but I needed to tell you that! Believe it!!!
ReplyDeleteAhhh, Mary! I am sorry. I know it is hard to not hear things that lift you up. You are a wonderful, beautiful person...and I agree, Jack just makes you MORE so! But it is true that when you're out with a kid, people see the kid and not you. And most of the time, I know, you wouldn't have it any other way! But every once in a while...you want to be noticed for yourself. Lots of love. You're an awesome person, and I am so blessed to call you one of my friends!
ReplyDelete