Last night, on the phone with one of my dear friends, Adam Hess, he broke some heart wrenching news to me...he's moving to Phoenix.
I've known Adam since 2002, and whether he knows it or not, he was my absolute ROCK in getting through the death of my best friend. He was RIGHT THERE, when I got the call about Lisa and literally fell to the ground, sobbing. He never really UNDERSTOOD what I was going through, but he listened, he cared and he let me vent whenever I needed to. He never tried to pretend that he got it...he was just, quite simply, there for me.
In 2003, Adam and I took a weekend trip to visit some of my Duluthian friends and go to Gooseberry Falls. It was the place that Lisa and I often went to talk...about anything. I hadn't been there with anyone since her death the year before. It was such a great thing to experience with such an amazing friend. Though I can't REALLY remember, I'm sure I shed my fair share of tears up there that weekend. He came with me to the cemetery as well...which truly was sacred ground to me. (Those of you who know me well know there are VERY FEW people that I ever allow to see me in that state of mind.)
He has shared, in some way or another, in every major event in my life. He has made invitations and announcement for me. He has listened to me vent about issues involving any aspect of my life. I've seen him date nice girls and crazy ones. I've heard his story and shared his pain. I've met his family, from Michigan. He knows my sister-in-law, Beth, because we all used to work together.
And now, he's leaving.
While I am genuinely 100% happy for him, I am also completely devastated for myself. I lose one of the few core friends I have here, in real life, and I'm not really sure how to deal with it.
Not only is he leaving, he's moving 1,850 miles away from me.
1,850 miles. That's like driving from here to Duluth and back 7 times. SEVEN.
He's moving down there for two reasons. The first is that he was really unhappy in his job here as a designer. His company sucks and he's wanted out for a while. The second is because of a girl. I already told him that Danika better know that as long as she makes him happy -- I love her. When she breaks his heart -- I'll kill her.
I really, truly am happy for him. If there's one person who deserves it, it's Adam. He's been an amazing friend...and, really, a true confidante in my life.
I'm going to miss him more than words can ever say. He does know that he's still on tap for birthday invites for the next 16 years, graduation announcements and wedding invitations. I think my retainer fee is free! :)
Good luck, darling friend. I am going to miss you more than you will ever know. Thank you for all that you've done to lift me up and change my outlook on life. I am SO blessed to have you in my life. I am SO thankful for you.
I love you.
9 years ago

No comments:
Post a Comment