Hands down. Without question. The day I lost my father. I knew my dad was sick, but I didn't have
any grasp on just how sick he truly was. My father was my best friend. I told him everything. I knew something was wrong the moment my sister, who didn't live with us, woke me up at 3:47am. The most
horrific part was seeing him, lying there, DEAD, on our living room floor. It's one of those moment in my life that still haunts me. My dad was dead when the
EMT's arrived...and my mom was waiting for the coroner to arrive. I remember going to school with my nephew, Tyler, to tell our teachers and get home work.
The worst part: having to tell my hockey coach. My dad had been at every hockey practice, game and scrimmage for my entire hockey career. I literally broke down, fell to my knees, and sobbed in his office. I didn't know what to do. My dad died the week before hockey playoffs, in the year he was
CERTAIN we were going to state. In the weeks that followed, I got an exemption from the State High School League that I could play, even though I'd missed school. (You have to be in school in order to play). We shutout all three of our opponents in the section playoffs...and beat
Eagan in a 1-0 Thriller in OT to go to state. My team dedicated the season to my dad. I was interviewed by news stations. There was so much press around the situation that it got overwhelming. We ended up beating, then undefeated, Park Center 3-2 in the first round of the state tournament. In the end, we took third place, in what was, truly, the best memory of my childhood. And my dad, well, he had the best seat in the house.
No comments:
Post a Comment