Thursday, June 16, 2011

Jackeroo Update

So, a quick update on Jack. I know, I know, I haven't blogged in a while....such is life!

Jack has been having bloody noses since around January. They started as bloody, crusty boogers and gradually worked their way up. I talked to his pediatrician about it at his 4 year check up and she gave me some things to try. Tried all 3....none helped.

So, she referred me to an ENT. Since it took a while to get him IN to the ENT, she also had us come in for some blood work. That came back as showing that Jack is, for certain, anemic. There were some other factors in there, too, but she wanted to see what the ENT had to say. He took one look in Jack's mouth and said, "Wow, his tonsils are huge!" Apparently, they're about 4 times the size of a normal child his age. He also checked in his nose and didn't find any prominent blood vessel that was "off". As a result, he suggested the following:



  1. Jack should have a tonsillectomy and adenoidectomy

  2. Jack should also have a Nasal Endoscopic exploration with Cautery (that's a fancy way to say "shove a camera through his entire nasal cavity to find out where the bleeding is coming from and cauterize it)

His dad wasn't so keen on the idea of surgery, so we have a second opinion scheduled on July 6th. Please wish me luck! I'd like to get this done ASAP!

1 comment:

  1. Hopefully you'll be scheduling the surgery right after the second opinion! I know how hard the situation is, and you're doing a great job!

    Way to go! Love you! :)

    ReplyDelete